Memory Care in Kansas |

Memory Care in Kansas

In 2018, Alzheimer's disease was the 6th leading cause of death in Kansas, claiming nearly 900 lives that year. The Alzheimer's Association estimates that 55,000 people aged 65 and over are living with this disease in 2020, and by 2025, that number is projected to increase by nearly 13% to 62,000. This disease has had a profound impact not only on Kansas but on the entire nation. Currently, roughly 5 million Americans have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and that number is expected to nearly triple by 2050.

Memory care facilities provide those living with Alzheimer's and dementia with care that is tailored to their unique needs. Memory care can take place in its own facility, or as part of a designated wing of another residential care community. Staff members of memory care units or facilities undergo specialized training in caring for those with memory impairment, and the facilities often coordinate social activities and schedules specifically for the needs of those living with Alzheimer's or dementia.

This guide will cover the cost of memory care in Kansas, financial assistance options for paying for memory care, free memory care resources in the state, and a directory of memory care facilities in Kansas.

The Cost of Memory Care in Kansas

When figuring out how to pay for memory care, you first need to understand how much it will cost for your loved one to move to a quality community. As costs continue to rise, it's vital to have the latest details when planning for elderly care costs. In order to shed light on the impact of inflation on senior living costs, has gathered cost information from its network of over 75,000 senior living communities. These prices are based on the cost of Memory Care in Kansas and 10 other cities in Kansas.

How Inflation Has Impacted the Cost of Memory Care in Kansas

Inflation has had a major impact on the price of memory care. Between 2022 and 2023, the U.S. average cost rose by 10.5%, and prices are expected to reach $5,792 by 2024. Rates also rose in Kansas but by a more modest 2% to $5,587. Memory care inflation was higher in neighboring states, averaging 19% in Oklahoma and 12% in Colorado. Nebraska's increase was lower at 7.5%, but prices are expected to skyrocket to $6,914 by 2024. Meanwhile, Missouri's average rose by 2.5% to $5,502. This trend toward higher prices demonstrates the importance of financial planning for senior living.

Location2022 Cost (Historical)2023 Cost (Current)2024 Cost (Estimated)
U.S. Average$4,863$5,369$5,792

Memory Care Costs in Kansas's Top Cities

Memory care prices vary widely across Kansas, emphasizing the importance of comparing rates for seniors and their families. In Kansas City, prices are lower than average at $4,832. The capital of Topeka is even cheaper at $4,798, but other major cities are much more expensive. Wichita is among the state's costliest locations with an average price of $6,709 per month, and average rates in Overland Park are $352 more than the statewide norm at $5,939.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Living

Memory care provides a high level of daily support and security for seniors living with dementia, making it one of the more expensive senior living options at $5,587 on average. For seniors who need less intensive support, assisted living rates are lower, averaging $4,834. Independent living provides the lowest level of daily support and is best for self-reliant seniors, with rates averaging $2,586 per month.

Kansas Medicaid Programs for Memory Care

Medicaid in Kansas (KanCare) does not specifically cover the costs of memory care. However, its Frail Elderly Waiver Program can be used to cover some costs. 

  • Who Is Eligible: Seniors must be 65 years or older, be a U.S. citizen or legal resident, reside in Kansas and meet certain financial requirements.
  • How To Apply: Seniors can apply online on the KanCare website.

Frail Elderly Waiver Program

The Frail Elderly Waiver Program will cover some costs of services provided in a memory care community. The program doesn't cover meal or room expenses. It does cover wellness monitoring, nurse evaluation visits, enhanced care services, personal care and assistive technology.

  • Who Is Eligible: Applicants must be 65 years or older, reside in Kansas, meet the KanCare income and asset requirements and undergo a full evaluation by a medical team to ensure they require long-term care services.
  • How To Apply: Seniors can contact their local Aging and Disability Resource Center to start the application process. They can call (855) 200-2372 to find the nearest Aging and Disability Resource Center.

Medicaid Eligibility for Seniors in Kansas

Seniors must meet certain income and asset requirements to be eligible for Medicaid in Kansas. There's no set income limit in Kansas, but any monthly income above $62 must go to nursing home care costs, or alternatively, any income over $2,523 must go to home-based care or assisted living costs. The asset limit is $2,000 for single applicants and $3,000 for married applicants if both spouses are applying.

2022 Medicaid Income Limits for Seniors in Kansas

family sizeannual income limitsasset limits
Single PersonNo Set Income Limit$2,000
Two-Person Household (Single Applicant)No Set Income Limit$2,000 for applicant and $137,400 for non-applicant
Two-Person Household (Dual Applicants)No Set Income Limit$3,000

Seniors must meet certain additional requirements to apply for Medicaid in Kansas. Applicants must provide documentation verifying their citizenship or residential status and proof of income. 

Required information includes:

  • Proof of citizenship or legal resident status
  • Bank statements for the past 60 months
  • Title deeds of any property owned plus a recent professional evaluation of that property
  • Copies of burial plans
  • Power of attorney documents
  • Any other documents the senior feels may support their application

How To Get Help Applying for Medicaid in Kansas

Seniors in Kansas can contact KanCare for assistance in applying for Medicaid or phone the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services.

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services785-296-4986Operators are available during the work week to guide seniors through the application process. Seniors can receive in-person assistance at their local office.
KanCareOnline informationSeniors and their caregivers can find all the information they need and a step-by-step guide to applying for Medicaid on the KanCare website.

Can You Use Medicare To Pay for Memory Care in Kansas?

Unfortunately, Medicare does not generally cover the cost of Memory Care. Most Memory Care Facilities are considered to be "social settings," so Medicare does not cover the cost incurred in these facilities. The only exception to that is if you are receiving memory care services in a Nursing Home. While this situation is much less common, Medicare would sometimes cover the cost, depending on a number of circumstances.

That being said, Medicare does still cover qualified doctor visits, medications, etc., as it would if you were still at home, but it will not cover the cost of care received at the Memory Care Facility.

More Ways To Pay for Memory Care in Kansas

In addition to the state programs mentioned above, those looking for resources to finance memory care may consider:

  • Long-Term Care Insurance: Depending on the policy details, long-term care insurance may be used to pay for memory care services. It's best to sign up for a policy early, as coverage will likely be denied if one already has long-term care needs. More information about the intricacies of long-term care insurance can be found at
  • Reverse Mortgages: Reverse mortgages allow some homeowners to take out a loan as an advance from the eventual sale of their primary residence. This can be a good way to fund memory care in the short-term, but the loans will need to be paid back after the sale of the home. The most commonly used type of reverse mortgages for seniors is the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, which is the only reverse mortgage insured by the federal government.
  • Veterans Benefits: The Department of Veterans Affairs offers several programs that veterans and their spouses may use to cover health care needs such as memory care. More information about these programs can be found on the VA website.
Back to top

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Kansas

Memory Care Regulation

In Kansas, dementia care units are not licensed separately from assisted living facilities. Instead, assisted living facilities are permitted to serve residents with special needs if they meet certain criteria. These facilities are licensed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services.

Facility Scope of Care

Memory care facilities are required to accommodate the care needs and services that are outlined in the resident's service plan, which was created at the time of admission. Services generally include daily meals, health care services, group and individual activities, housekeeping and personalized health and safety support.

Admissions Requirements

Memory care facilities in Kansas can house seniors with a wide range of abilities and care needs, but not everyone is a candidate for this level of care. The following table outlines residents who may and may not be admitted.

Residents Who May Be Admitted

Older adults and people who:

  • Have dementia
  • Have mental, physical or developmental disabilities and conditions
  • Have traumatic brain injuries
  • Require assistance from third-party providers

Residents Who May NOT Be Admitted

Those who:

  • Have chronic conditions that require the assistance of two or more people
  • Are unwilling or unable to participate in managing continence
  • Need around-the-clock skilled nursing care
  • Are immobile or need full assistance in evacuating the facility
  • Have behavioral symptoms that the facility cannot accommodate
  • Have a clinical condition that requires the use of physical restraints

Care Plan Requirements

Prior to admission, a licensed nurse of the memory care facility's administrator must conduct a screening and assessment of the prospective resident to evaluate the individual's health care needs and functional capacity. Based on this assessment, the facility works with the individual and their family members or a legal representative, such as a case manager, to develop a service plan. If the resident needs health care services, their service plan must be developed by a licensed nurse.

Service plans must describe the services provided, the individual or organization that is to provide the services and who is responsible for ensuring payment when the services are provided by a third party. They must be reviewed on an annual basis or when requested by any of the participating parties. If a nutritionist is needed to assist the resident with eating, the care plan must be reviewed quarterly.

Medication Management Requirements

A resident may self-administer their medications if a licensed nurse has evaluated and confirmed that they are able to do so. If the resident is unable to self-administer their medications, a licensed nurse or medication aide must administer them. Medication aides are not permitted to administer subcutaneous or intravenous medications.

A licensed pharmacist must review each resident's medication regimen on a quarterly basis or when the resident's condition changes significantly. This service is required for residents whose medication regimen is managed by the facility, and it must be offered to residents who self-administer all of their medications.

Facility Requirements

In memory care units that are in assisted living facilities, individual units must be apartment-style and have a living area, a storage area, a full and accessible bathroom, a kitchen with appliances, a lockable door and an operable window. Memory care units in residential health care facilities are not required to have kitchens, but they must have a private bathroom with a tub or a shower. Additionally, the facility's exits must be controlled in the least restrictive manner possible.

Staffing Requirements

All memory care facilities in Kansas must have an administrator, a full-time operator and a 24-hour awake staff. There must also be a registered nurse available to supervise the facility's licensed practical nurses. There are no minimum staffing ratios, but facilities are required to have enough direct care staff members available at all times to provide each resident with the services and care outlined in their service plan.

Memory care facilities must also provide their staff members with in-service education on how to treat the behavioral symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

Medicaid Policy

Services provided in memory care facilities are covered under 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Services Medicaid waivers, including the FE Waiver.

Reporting Abuse

If resident abuse, neglect or exploitation is suspected, the concerned party should inform the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services elder abuse hotline by calling 1-800-842-0078. If a facility's practices are suspected to violate the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services' statutes and regulations, a report should be made to the state's Adult Protective Services office by calling 785-296-4653 or to the Kansas Long-Term Care Ombudsman office by calling 1-877-662-8362.

Back to top

Free and Low-Cost Resources for Seniors in Kansas

In Kansas, there is an abundance of resources designed to assist seniors throughout their retirement. has compiled information on a range of local organizations, programs, and agencies, categorizing them based on the care services they offer for easy browsing.

Area Agency on Aging

The Area Agency on Aging in Kansas is a crucial asset for retired individuals, providing advice on financial assistance, home-based care, and planning for extended care. It also connects seniors and their caregivers with local resources.

Kansas Association of Area Agencies on Aging and Disabilities785-267-1336The Kansas Association of Area Agencies on Aging & Disabilities is a network of 11 Aging and Disability Resource Centers. These centers offer information on state and federal benefits for seniors aged 60 and older, as well as adults with disabilities. They also help individuals find local community-based services such as meal delivery, transportation, and case management.

Cash Assistance Programs

Financial assistance initiatives exist in Kansas to help seniors with low income sustain their home living. These initiatives provide tax reductions, discounts on crucial services, and aid for home temperature regulation costs.

Kansas Lifeline Program800-234-9473The LifeLine Program offers discounted telephone service, enabling participants to stay connected with their loved ones through landline or mobile phones.

Food Assistance Programs

In Kansas, numerous community programs focus on enhancing the health of seniors via proper diet. These initiatives provide meal delivery, shared meals, and food bank services, guaranteeing that older citizens can obtain reasonably priced, healthy food.

Kansas Food Assistance & Nutrition Program888-369-4777The Kansas Food Assistance & Nutrition Program offers low-income seniors the opportunity to access nutritious meals. Eligibility is based on financial need, with a household bank balance below $3,500 ($2,250 for singles). Applications are conveniently submitted online, and approved recipients receive a benefits card for purchasing food at local grocery stores.
Kansas Food BankThe Kansas Food Bank oversees food pantries in all Kansas counties, offering assistance to seniors experiencing food insecurity. Eligibility criteria for each pantry are based on age and income. In 28 counties, the Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides seniors with balanced diet boxes filled with nutritious food. In 26 counties, seniors can apply for the Bob Box, named after Senator Bob Dole, which contains essential food staples for meal preparation.
Kansas Meals on WheelsKansas Meals on Wheels provides home-delivered meals to eligible seniors aged 60 and above who are homebound, isolated, or unable to receive group meals. Homebound seniors receive meals for free, with donations encouraged if affordable. Non-homebound seniors can enjoy delivered meals for $4. Our committed volunteers ensure daily delivery of hot and nutritious meals. Local dining centers are also available for Kansas seniors.
Kansas Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)888-369-4777The Kansas Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program assists low-income seniors in obtaining nutritious food. Eligibility is determined by income and resources, such as cash and bank account balances. Seniors aged 60 and above must have resources totaling $4,250 or less to qualify. Approved seniors receive a Kansas benefits card (EBT card) for purchasing food at local grocers and select online stores.
Kansas Village Church Food Pantry913-671-2315The Kansas Village Church Food Pantry provides essential resources like food, clothing, personal care items, and cleaning products to seniors and individuals facing hardship. Operating with a dedicated team of 150 volunteers, the pantry welcomes everyone in need, without any residency restrictions. To receive assistance, appointments are required. The pantry is open from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays.

Free Used Medical Equipment

In Kansas, several organizations are tackling the high cost of new medical devices. They collect lightly used equipment such as wheelchairs, ramps, and walkers, distributing them to local elderly and those requiring assistance.

Kansas Equipment Exchange (KEE) Reuse Program620-421-8367The Kansas Equipment Exchange Reuse program provides seniors in need with access to gently used, high-quality durable medical equipment. Our inventory includes a variety of items such as manual and electric wheelchairs, patient lifts, hospital beds, shower chairs, specialty commodes, walkers, and more. Discover the equipment you require to improve your mobility and independence.
Kansas Medical Equipment Recycling Network (MERN)316-942-6300The Medical Equipment Recycling Network provides seniors with access to sanitized and inspected durable medical equipment. Eligible individuals can receive top-quality equipment that meets their needs.

Health Insurance & Prescription Drug Coverage for Seniors

Elderly residents of Kansas with certain income brackets have access to local aid for prescription medication expenses. They might also be eligible for health coverage and other programs providing complimentary or reduced-cost healthcare services.

Kansas FamilyWize785-827-1312United Way Salina has teamed up with FamilyWize to provide drug discount cards, offering up to 75% off medications for those with limited income. These cards are available to anyone seeking help with prescription costs. Seniors can take advantage of discounts on FDA-approved medications not covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or other plans.

Home Repair and Modifications

In Kansas, a variety of programs exist to support seniors and those with disabilities in funding home improvements and repairs. These initiatives, providing grants or loans, feature different eligibility criteria tailored for retired individuals.

Kansas Section 504 Home Repair ProgramThe Section 504 Home Repair Program provides financial aid to low-income seniors in rural Kansas. Qualified individuals can receive grants up to $10,000 or low-interest loans up to $40,000. This funding is specifically for home repairs that target health and safety hazards.

In Kansas, there are several organizations offering cost-effective or free legal aid to senior citizens. They provide advice on issues such as estate planning, living wills, and power of attorney. Some also champion the rights of the elderly in long-term care establishments.

Kansas Senior Citizen Law Project (SCLP)888-353-5337The Senior Citizen Law Project in Kansas provides complimentary legal guidance to older residents on crucial matters. They address concerns like elder abuse, public benefits, health insurance, medical rights, long-term care, and consumer affairs. The organization also assists seniors with life and estate planning, including wills. Individuals aged 60 and above can contact a legal advisor through the statewide Elder Law Hotline.

Senior Centers

In Kansas, elderly individuals find a community hub in senior centers, offering a range of recreational pursuits, events, and essential resources. These centers also provide health programs, dietary advice, and support for issues related to senior living.

Kansas Health Care Association (KHCA)785-267-6003Topeka, KS is where you'll find the Kansas Health Care Association, a registered Center for Assisted Living. Since 1951, this nonprofit organization has been dedicated to supporting seniors in need of long-term nursing care. Through their member network, they offer health screenings, nutritious meals, social activities, housekeeping services, and personalized mental health interventions, medication management, and therapy.

Social Security Offices

In Kansas, Social Security offices are crucial resources for the elderly and those with disabilities. They provide advice on retirement perks, disability benefits, and additional security income.

Kansas Social SecuritySocial Security offers financial support to retirees and those unable to work due to disability. It is funded through payroll taxes paid by employers, employees, and self-employed individuals. Monthly payments during retirement are based on past earnings.

Tax Assistance

In Kansas, a variety of tax assistance options exist for seniors and people with disabilities. These encompass possible medical cost exemptions, property tax cuts, and other tax alleviation measures.

Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low-Income Seniors Program785-368-8222The Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low-Income Seniors program provides qualified seniors with a 75% refund on property taxes, effectively reducing their tax burden to 25% of their home's assessed value.

Utility & Energy Bill Assistance

In Kansas, there are establishments ready to assist seniors with limited income facing challenges with home upkeep expenses, such as energy and utility bills. Emergency financial support might be available for individuals threatened with utility disconnection due to outstanding payments.

Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)800-432-0043The Low Income Energy Assistance Program in Kansas offers support to low-income individuals, including seniors, who are facing challenges in paying their energy bills. It also provides emergency assistance to homeowners who are at risk of having their electricity disconnected.

Veteran's Services

In Kansas, retired military personnel can find essential support through local veteran services. These organizations help veterans access their deserved benefits and offer advice on a variety of issues.

Kansas VA Benefits and Health CareKansas's VA Benefits and Health Care provides services at various locations across the state, including Medical Centers in Leavenworth, Topeka, and Wichita, as well as outpatient clinics with specialized programs for veterans aged 65 and above. Eligible elderly veterans can receive an enhanced pension to assist with in-home care necessities like dressing, bathing, and eating. For individuals requiring more extensive care, long-term options such as skilled nursing and memory care are accessible.

Kansas COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care Facilities

Note: The following information was compiled and most recently updated on 2/8/2022. Since COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving crisis, be sure to contact your Memory Care Facility or local Area Agency on Aging for the most up-to-date information.

Am I allowed to visit my loved one in person?Yes (Conditions Apply)
Is my loved one required to quarantine after I visit him or her?No
Am I required to wear a mask if I visit my loved one in person?Yes
Are visitors screened for elevated temperatures?Yes
Are residents allowed to leave the facility at-will?Yes
Are residents of senior living facilities who leave required to quarantine when they get back?No (Conditions Apply)
Are staff members and contractors checked for elevated temperatures?Yes
Are staff members and contractors tested for COVID-19?Yes (Conditions Apply)
Do staff members have to regularly screen residents for COVID-19 symptoms?Yes
Do staff members have to regularly check residents for elevated temperatures?Yes
Do staff members have to regularly test residents for COVID-19?Yes (Conditions Apply)
Back to top